Here is a list of useful docker commands. I started writing this down as I was learning about docker for my own reference and also to help me remember them by organizing them into groups of commands.
I am using docker version 19.03.13.
I hope you also find it useful either as a quick refresher or as a learning tool.
- docker version shows the Docker version information.
- docker info displays system-wide information.
- docker login logs in to a Docker registry
- docker image ls lists images
- docker image pull pulls an image from a registry
- docker image push pushes an image into a registry
- docker image history shows the history of an image
- docker image inspect displays detailed information on one or more images
- docker image tag creates a tag TARGET_IMAGE that refers to SOURCE_IMAGE
- docker image build builds an image from a Dockerfile
- docker image rm removes one or more images
- docker container ls lists containers
- docker container run runs a command in a new container
The new container in this example below, will publish its port 80 on the host machine’s port 80 and create a container based on nginx image
docker container run — publish 80:80 — detach — name webhost nginx
The container run command below inserts an environment variable to the mysql container
docker container run -d — name mysql -e MYSQL_RANDOM_ROOT_PASSWORD=true mysql
The container run command below gets access to the bash shell of the container.
docker container run -it — name proxy nginx bash
- docker container logs fetches the logs of a container
- docker container top displays the running processes of a container
- docker container rm removes one or more containers
- docker container stop stops one or more running containers
- docker container start starts one or more stopped containers
- docker container inspect displays detailed information on one or more containers
- docker container stats displays a live stream of container(s) resource usage statistics
- docker container exec runs a command in a running container
- docker container port lists port mappings or a specific mapping for the container
- docker network ls lists networks
- docker network inspect displays detailed information on one or more networks
- docker network create creates a network
- docker network connect connects a container to a network
- docker network disconnect disconnects a container from a network
- docker volume ls lists volumes
- docker volume inspect displays detailed information on one or more volumes
- docker volume create creates a volume